This Dairy Diary recipe is a delicious savoury bread perfect to serve with soup on #homemadesoupday.
Savoury Bacon & Herb Loaf
Calories 327 per portion
Fat 11g (5g sat) per portion
Suitable for freezing
- Streaky bacon 50g (2oz), chopped
- Onion 1, peeled and finely chopped
- Celery 2 sticks, chopped
- Self-raising flour 225g (8oz)
- Butter 25g (1oz), softened
- Milk 150ml (¼ pint)
- Egg 1, beaten
- Chopped parsley 1 tbsp
- Dried mixed herbs ½ tsp
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°fan/Gas 4. Grease a 450g (1lb) loaf tin or 16cm (6in) cake tin.
- Dry fry bacon in a frying pan for 2 minutes, then add onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Sift flour and ½ tsp salt into a bowl and rub in butter.
- In a jug mix milk with egg and herbs and season. Add to dry ingredients with bacon mixture and mix together. Spoon into tin and bake for 50-60 minutes until risen and golden. Cool on a rack.
Fragrant and very, very pretty, this cake is irresistible.
Iced Lavender Loaf
Calories 176 per portion
Fat 10g (6g sat) per portion
Suitable for vegetarians
Suitable for freezing
- Milk 75ml (3fl oz)
- Fresh lavender flower heads 6, plus extra for decoration, or 1 tsp dried lavender
- Unsalted butter 175g (6oz) softened
- Caster sugar 175g (6oz)
- Lemon 1, finely grated zest
- Eggs 3, beaten
- Self-raising flour 175g (6oz)
- Icing sugar 225g (8oz)
- Violet food colouring
- Put milk and flower heads, or dried lavender, in a small pan and bring slowly to simmering point over a low heat. Remove from heat, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Strain milk into a bowl and discard lavender.
- Preheat oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- Beat butter, caster sugar and lemon zest together until soft and creamy. Beat in eggs a little at a time, adding a tablespoon of flour with each egg. Fold in remaining flour and 2 tablespoons of lavender milk.
- Spoon the mixture into two loaf tins and level the top of each one. Stand the tins on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Sieve icing sugar into a bowl and stir in enough lavender milk to make a smooth paste that just holds its shape. Tint icing by mixing in a little violet food colouring and then spread it over tops of cakes with a palette knife. Decorate each cake with small sprigs of lavender flowers. Leave to set before serving.
A Dairy Diary recipe.