This Dairy Diary recipe is a delicious savoury bread perfect to serve with soup on #homemadesoupday.
Savoury Bacon & Herb Loaf
Calories 327 per portion
Fat 11g (5g sat) per portion
Suitable for freezing
- Streaky bacon 50g (2oz), chopped
- Onion 1, peeled and finely chopped
- Celery 2 sticks, chopped
- Self-raising flour 225g (8oz)
- Butter 25g (1oz), softened
- Milk 150ml (¼ pint)
- Egg 1, beaten
- Chopped parsley 1 tbsp
- Dried mixed herbs ½ tsp
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°fan/Gas 4. Grease a 450g (1lb) loaf tin or 16cm (6in) cake tin.
- Dry fry bacon in a frying pan for 2 minutes, then add onion and celery and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
- Sift flour and ½ tsp salt into a bowl and rub in butter.
- In a jug mix milk with egg and herbs and season. Add to dry ingredients with bacon mixture and mix together. Spoon into tin and bake for 50-60 minutes until risen and golden. Cool on a rack.