Tadaa! I’m so excited to reveal our brand new cookbook – Just for One or Two.
If you love good food, cooked simply, and often cook for just one or two people then this cookbook is a must.
According to the Office for National Statistics, almost half of all families in the UK (46%) no longer share an evening meal every day. But that doesn’t mean to say we have to get by on junk food and microwave meals. Just For One or Two contains an array of delicious meals for one or two people. Each carefully crafted recipe uses readily available ingredients, requires little effort and tastes amazing.
As a busy working parent, I appreciate it’s not always possible for families to sit down and eat together, particularly during the week when other commitments can get in the way.
However that doesn’t mean we can’t still enjoy real food, prepared with minimum fuss that is packed with flavour. Just for One or Two not only caters for single people and couples, it’s also for busy parents who want meal ideas that are quick, nutritious and, most importantly, taste fantastic.
From delicious mains to sumptuous desserts, our aim was to devise restaurant quality food that can be made at home, requires little effort and uses only a few ingredients.
Each of the recipes, which are illustrated with beautiful photography, have been triple-tested to ensure that they work perfectly each and every time.
The book also contains useful nutritional information, cook’s tips and QR codes with handy shopping lists.
And sample this gorgeous Sticky Walnut Tart recipe, which you can eat as much of you like of, then freeze. Perfect for several puddings for one or two.
Sticky Walnut Tart
Calories 476 per portion
Fat 26g (5g sat) per portion
Suitable for vegetarians
Suitable for freezing
- Plain flour 175g (6oz)
- Salt a pinch
- Butter 150g (5oz), diced
- Light muscovado sugar 175g (6oz)
- Golden syrup 225g (8oz)
- Eggs 3 medium
- Vanilla essence 1 tsp
- Walnut pieces 110g (4oz)
- Vanilla ice cream to serve (optional)
- To make the pastry, put the flour and salt into a bowl. Then add 75g (3oz) of the butter and rub it in with your fingertips until fine crumbs form.
- Mix to a soft but not sticky dough with 2 tablespoons of water. Knead lightly and roll out the pastry onto a floured surface to a circle a little larger than a 23cm (9in) loose-bottomed flan tin.
- Lift the pastry over the rolling pin, transfer it to the flan tin and press it onto the base and up the sides with your fingertips. Trim the top and chill in the fridge while you make the filling.
- Put the remaining butter, sugar and golden syrup into a saucepan and heat it until the butter melts and the sugar has dissolved. Allow it to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Beat the eggs and vanilla essence together, then gradually stir it into the syrup mixture with the walnuts. Pour it into the flan case, place on a baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes until it is just set in the centre (check after 20 minutes and cover with foil if browning too quickly).
To serve now: Allow the tart to cool slightly, then remove it from the tin and transfer it to a serving plate. Serve with ice cream if you like.
To freeze: Cut the tart into individual slices, wrap in cling film, seal and label. Freeze for up to 2 months.
To serve from the freezer: Take out as many slices as required and defrost at room temperature for 2 hours or until completely defrosted.
Click the image to see a selection of pages from Just For One Or Two.
Win a Russell Hobbs 3-in-1 Hand Blender
To celebrate the launch of our new cookbook, Just For One Or Two, we are offering you the chance to whisk, blitz and chop your way to better meals with this super efficient Russell Hobbs 3-in-1 Hand Blender.
A delicious mix of form and function, this stick blender offers a choice of two speed settings for coarser and smoother chopping.
- 400W power at max load
- Detachable stainless steel shaft with stainless steel blade
- 0.5L capacity beaker included
- 0.5L capacity chopping attachment included with stainless steel blade
#cookbook #recipes #competition